Skip to content

Quick Veggie Soup to Cure the Sick

March 28, 2012

I might have come down with something. I am still in denial, but it happened. And when I couldn’t get out of bed and my throat was past the point of ever wanting to allow me to swallow again, I maybe admitted it. And then I slept for an extra two hours and woke up, downed some EmergenC, drank some tea, opened the windows to let the spring warmth in, and refused to be sick. It went well until the achey-ness set in later that evening. When I was babysitting, nonetheless.

So I went home and went right to bed, woke up 9 hours later feeling maybe 75% better. Amazing what sleep can do. I decided that one more night of recovery was in the books, so I went right home after work, threw together some soup, drank some more tea and went to bed early again. AND it worked! So maybe Ill give the soup 80% of the credit and my bed the other 20%. Either way, I’m over the slumpy sickness and back in the game. Fortunately so, as its too nice out to feel like poop. If I ever get sick again (not going to happen, right?) I will be making this soup. For sure.

Quick and Easy Cure-All Veggie Soup:

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 cup green lentils, soaked for a few hours in 2 cups water (this softens them &  shortens the boil time)

1 package frozen veggies (corn, green beans, peas and carrots)

6 cups water

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp basil

Directions:

In a large pot, heat olive oil, garlic and chopped onion over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add spices and stir well. Add lentils, veggies and water. Bring to a boil, turn down and let simmer for 45min. Make some Jiffy Bread while you wait…

Excellent dinner! Jiffy Bread AND a soup packed with green veggies. Plus, I am giving it a thumbs up in the healing category, maybe all we ever need is a good vegetable soup to cure what ails. Sadly, I think this is my last soup for a while, since spring and summer are starting to show their faces. And now that its warming up, those nasty colds won’t be buzzing around!

Luckily, I found enough strength to fight off the small, starving gato.

Enjoy!

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: